I am participating in a read-a-thon this week and I am going to start it out with a questionnaire!
- 01. What do you plan on reading for the Read-A-Thon? Why did you choose these books?
I am going to finish reading Men At Work and then read Rachel’s Holiday. I haven’t planned anything else.
- 02. Where will you be sharing your bookish updates for Treesofreverie’s April Read-A-Thon?
- 03. Are you currently taking part in any other reading challenges for 2014?
I am doing the reading challenge for Goodreads (75 books is my goal) and the ABC Challenge.
- 04. Do you have any reading goals? What are you hoping to achieve?
For the read-a-thon, I just want to actively read as much as I can and find other readers and hopefully new books.
- 05. Are you from a family of readers?
My dad reads quite a bit and my grandma read all the time.
- 06. Do many of your friends read?
I do have some friends that read a lot. We go to Barnes & Noble when we get together.
- 07. What or who inspired your reading as a child?
My grandma always had a book in her hand and I got my reading from her.
- 08. Are there any books you wish you got to read when you were younger?
Any book that I wanted to read- I was allowed to read. I don’t remember ever being denied a book.
- 09. What are your favourite genres?
Mystery, thriller, crime. I also like sports books.
- 10. What are your favourite books?
All of Gilian Flynn’s, Kiss The Girls by James Patterson, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.
- 11. Do you like to re-read your favourite books?
I haven’t re-read a book in a while because I’m working on finishing so many series’ right now, but I do like going back to favourite books.
- 12. Who are your favourite authors?
James Patterson, Sue Grafton, Janet Evanovich, Michael Connelly, Gillian Flynn.
- 13. What would you do if you got to meet your favourite author?
Cry, uncontrollable shaking, and just thank them over and over.
- 14. What defines a great book for you?
One that makes me think. One that I physically can’t put down. One that gives me nightmares (only when reading mystery/thriller)
- 15. What draws you to pick up a book you’ve never seen or heard of before?
It depends on the genre. A mystery book needs a neat title (ie things like I Am Not a Serial Killer). For sports, it has to be about a sport or sport icon that I would enjoy reading about (sorry golf, but don’t think I could read a book about you). For chick-lit/romance, it can’t look like it’s going to be a book of a little talking and a lot of sex. I want relationships and actual characters.
- 16. Do you judge a book by its cover?
At times, but it’s usually a good thing. I love simple covers with pretty lettering. If I see that, I’ll probably pick it up. Luckily, working at the library gives me the opportunity to see lots of books like that.
- 17. Once you’ve finished reading a book do you like to keep it or give it away?
Keep it, always. Unless it’s a library book or I borrowed it from someone else. I will keep it. I don’t normally let others borrow my books unless I know they’ll take great care of them.
- 18. Do you prefer paperbacks or hardcover?
I’m not too picky. I like both a lot. I like paperback if I’m going to be away from the house and need to put my book in small space. I like hardcover because they don’t get bent.
- 19. How many books do you own? How many of these books have you read?
A little over 100 I would say. I’ve read around 30 or 40 of my books.
- 20. Do you like to borrow or lend out books to others?
Only if I know I will get them back in good condition.
- 21. Do you like to recommend books? Which books do you recommend most often?
I recommend books only to people that have an interest in the book I want to recommend. If I have a good mystery book I want someone to read but I know they only read YA, I’m not going to recommend it.
- 22. Where do you buy your books?
2nd & Charles. It’s a used store of basically everything: books, video games, records, cd’s, movies. All at a lowered price.
- 23. What would your ultimate dream bookstore be like?
2nd & Charles is the ultimate bookstore for me. If they had every book known to man would be the only way to make it better.
- 24. Which genres would you like to read more of?
Sports and chick-lit
- 25. Do you read books by indie or self-published authors?
I have a few books that I’ve been meaning to read by them, but haven’t gotten to it yet.
- 26. Do you read books by authors residing in your own country?
Yes I do. A lot of the authors I read were born and live in the United States.
- 27. Do you have a TBR Jar?
I don’t have a jar, but I write between 5-8 books on a piece of paper and number them. I then tell my boyfriend to pick the numbers at random and that’s the order that I read the books until they are all read. I’ve thought about getting a TBR jar though.
- 28. Do you like to keep a record of your reading – in a reading journal, collecting quotes, writing down thoughts, etc.?
I use Goodreads for a lot of that. But I do have a reading journal. Unfortunately, I haven’t used it in a while. I would love to get a new one and start over.
- 29. If you dislike a book, do you finish reading it?
It really depends on when I start disliking it. If I’m more than 75% done, I’ll finish it. If it’s from the beginning, I don’t waste the time.
- 30. Do you own an eReader?
I have a Windows 8 so I have a Kindle on my computer, but I’m getting a Nook for my birthday.
- 31. What are your thoughts on eBooks?
I have no problem with them. I’m old fashioned in my reading but I also like having a Kindle on my computer and am excited for my Nook. I know that they are very helpful for some people and just an annoyance for others. I wouldn’t tell anyone else not to use them or that they have to use them.
- 32. Do you listen to audio books?
I did it in high school and wasn’t a big fan of it. I would rather just sit down and read the book myself. Maybe if I ever go on a long road trip and I’m driving, then I’ll pick one up.
- 33. What are your thoughts on audio books?
To each their own. Same as ereaders, I know some people find them easier for them and others don’t need them. I’m part of the latter for the moment.
- 34. Do you have a book blog?
Yes, that’s what I’m using right now.
- 35. Who are your favourite book bloggers?
I don’t know many others. My pal Courtney has a good one! I am friends with people on Goodreads that are great reviewers.
- 36. Do you write book reviews?
Yes I do!
- 37. Do you use any book-orientated social media sites such as Goodreads?
I have a Leafmarks, Literally!, and some others that I’ve hardly used.
- 38. Have you discovered any of your favourite books or authors through social media sites?
I have. Social media is a great way to find books and authors.
- 39. Have you ever attended a book signing or an author event?
I have not. I’ve never really lived in/close enough to a place where authors go for book signings.
- 40. Have you ever won a book giveaway?
I’ve only done two giveaways and I never won.